I’ve decided to make Project Deviance a classic fighter, meaning two players will be facing each other in an enclosed box. Of course, since I still want to take a page out of Dissidia: Final Fantasy's book, Project Deviance will be implementing a Health & Bravery combat system.
To briefly explain, in Dissidia: Final Fantasy, players’ statuses were determined by two types of points: Health Points (HP) and Bravery Points (BP). BP determined how much damage a player’s HP Attack would deal. In order to increase your BP and decrease your opponent’s, you would need to perform BP Attacks. BP Attacks tend to be quicker but blockable, while HP Attacks tend to be slower but unblockable.
I plan to make this game playable on a keyboard, with controller support soon to follow. The control scheme is minimal in comparison to the original iteration of Project Deviance, but in additon to the typical movement featured in classic fighters, Project Deviance allows players to:
- Perform six BP Attacks
- Perform two HP Attacks
- Dodge in 8 directions
- Dash towards the opponent
- Parry attacks
Speaking of being minimalistic, I figured this game should start out small with room to grow. As such, I have cut back on the roster to feature only playable characters, which consists of:
- Naijeru Mizuho & Dark-Fenrir8224’s Shadow Wolf from Re: Impulse Chronicles
- The-Unfocused-Writer’s Damion White & Lavender Stella from Dimension Traveller
- Pr0crastronaut’s Claire Faben & Rose from Inque
- basarakami’s Miyaka Fujiwara & Ayaka from Something Lost
- JettErebus’s Jett Erebus & TBA
- hearts-and-pins’s Auburn Perrault & ReenoUmber’s Reebo Umber
Later on, I hope to grow the roster, but that is a concern for the distant future. In addition to “DLC Characters”, I’d like to possibly add these following features later on:
- Assist characters
- EX Bursts (a.k.a. Super Moves, Special Moves)
- Alternate costumes
- AI opponents (for those without friends)
Please let me know what you think, and for the character creators who I’ve mentioned, please let me know who you’d like to take up your empty slots.
P.S. Visually speaking, I will need to start from scratch. Saw some people playing Blazblue at Anime North, and the sprites were pretty high-definition and quite the opposite of pixelated. So whatever I had going for Naijeru needs to go.